Title: This week’s news
Main objective: To bring together work on narrative tenses and understanding news over the past two weeks, students will be recorded describing a news story of interest to them.
Class type: adults, intensive course (four hours per day)
Aim: describe news stories
Activity focus: speaking, using narrative tenses
Time: Max 3 minutes
Materials: Computer with Audacity
- Over the course of a week, teacher introduces students to ways to exploit newspapers and online news to improve their English.
- During the same week, we revise narrative tenses.
- On Thursday, teacher asks students to find out about a news story which interests them for homework and prepare to talk about it the following day.
- On Friday, students mingle and tell each other their stories. Meanwhile, the teacher takes willing students out of class one at a time to record their audio, once they have had the chance to tell their story at least once.
- Teacher then puts together the audio to form a podcast and posts the link in the Edmodo group which the class use.